Thursday 17 February 2011

Bordelle. Wk3.

This week seemed like one long day. I've been working mainly on the wrap bra (on auto pilot), sewing the cup panels together and covering the seam with elastic in a similar way to the one mentioned in the previous post. This has been a little trickier because The cup is curved of course. But again, I've got my technique down so it's not so bad.


(Image Via: http://www.glamorousamorous.com)

The first few that I did were not so good but after 100 or so... ^_^
(I did mean that as a joke but in actual fact I've probably done around that many; maybe even more!)
But anyway, it's been a weird kind of week, as I said, it's just felt like one really long day. Almost endless repetition.
I've felt a lot of empathy towards Daniel from the Karate Kid films. That naïve, impatient yearning to want to learn and just be good at something in order to prove your worth or something like that. Daniel, of course wanted to learn karate to win in a fight (blates to impress Ali) and Mr. Miyagi taught him through practical applications and almost sub-consciously blah blah blah... (sorry).

Having sewn the amount I have over not only the past week but the past three, I certainly don't think I have ever been so tired; my back aches like nobody's business and my eyes haven't stopped twitching. As you can imagine it's been very hard to see how this internship could possibly be giving me anything except woes. But the more I do, the better I get and sure enough I am beginning to realise how much I'm gaining.
I feel like my sewing skills have improved greatly due to the diversity of materials used as well as the techniques employed.



A tiny selection of the cups that I have been working on

Also, the fact that I've been given so many responsibilities is such a great feeling.
Sewing labels into the brassieres was another job that I've had this week. It was...frustrating. :)


It's been really nice to get to know everyone at the company especially Javier, the designer. It's always nice to be able to relate to older generations. We talk about and listen to music...a lot.

At this point, I really can not recommend internships enough. I'm nearing the end of my time with Bordelle but I will more than likely find myself there again in the future.
Also
it's been a really great, inspirational experience to branch out into a field that I had absolutely no experience in. At first I wondered if it was a good idea or not, for that reason; I can honestly say that it's been one of the best decisions that I ever made.
I'm beginning to see how important it is to ask questions too.
Ask or you may never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment